Re: certification is absurd?

Subject: Re: certification is absurd?
From: surfer_924 -at- earthlink -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:58:18 -0600

Edwin wrote:

"I disagree completely that "professional society membership" is an
indication of anything, especially in technical communication. Even a
superficial inspection of numbers will indicate a problem when "new
members" are often 20% of total members, yet membership is flat or
declining."

I'm with you on this one. I joined STC back when I was trying to break
into tech writing for two reasons: 1. To network with other tech writers
in the hopes of landing a job, and 2. To be able to put "Member of STC" on
my resume. After three years, two of which I served on my chapter's
Administrative Council, I quit going to meetings and let my membership
lapse. Without going into a long diatribe of why I left STC, suffice it to
say that I realized I could get pretty much what I was getting out of my
membership as a non-member, and I decided that my $110 a year and my time
could be better spent on other things like continuing education for
example.

TPS

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com