Re: Why are companies now requiring technical writers to be SMEs?

Subject: Re: Why are companies now requiring technical writers to be SMEs?
From: Tara Charter <chartertmc -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 08:07:55 -0700 (PDT)

I have to agree with Dick, "many times there is a
legal requirement that a company post a job opening
though they already know" [that it is filled], and
Bill "...the candidate pool might be so large that
they can afford to be specific..."

I have personally been involved with the HR department
at GMLC where we were required to officially post
positions both internally and externally in order to
fulfill company requirements regarding job postings.
We even conducted a certain number of interviews even
though we already knew the position was filled.

Obviously, it is also true that the candidate pools
are quite large these days - if I were posting a job,
I would add anything and everything I could in order
to narrow the number of incoming resumes.

Companies are meeting their job posting requirements
any way that they can and using the large pool of
applicants to their advantage.

I also think some super qualified people are not
getting in the door due to these conditions.

Tara M Charter
Technical Writer
Omaha, NE

http://search.yahoo.com