Re: pdfmaker Not Hyperlinking All

Subject: Re: pdfmaker Not Hyperlinking All
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:59:01 -0700

Carol Gilbert wrote:

> ...when I generate a PDF, my TOC retains its hyperlinks,
> my cross references to figures/tables and my index do not.

Note that the index entries in a Word file aren't hyperlinked. That's why they're not hyperlinked in the PDF file, either. You can get a nifty little tool called Activate from Virginia Systems (www.virginiasystems.com). It hyperlinks the index entries in the PDF file. It's about $200, but it has saved me *lots* more than that in time and effort.

As for the other hyperlinks in the Word file...yes, there are settings that control all of that. From the Acrobat menu (in Word) choose Change Conversion Settings. On the Office tab, select Convert Cross-Document Links, Convert Internet Links, Page Labels, Cross-References & TOC Links, and Footnote & Endnote Links (as applicable). On the Bookmarks tab, select Convert Word Headings to Bookmarks.

That should do ya.

> ...print to PostScript from Word and then do a real Distill?

PDFMaker is the best way to make PDF files from Word source files.

--David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com