RE: Why are companies now requiring techical writer candidates to be SMEs?

Subject: RE: Why are companies now requiring techical writer candidates to be SMEs?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:22:10 -0700

This has happened to me a couple of times as well, and in both cases it was for
projects writing for decidedly non-technical users where others who knew more
had already been unable to "dumb down" their own knowledge enough to write
for users who knew nothing about the tech behind the products and were unlikely
to want to know more. And I wouldn't present these cases as part of my campaign
to obtain new work, either. It is better to *have* the knowledge, but to cultivate the
ability to *think* like someone who doesn't when the situation calls for it.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 08:37 AM 4/22/2003 -0600, Lyn Worthen wrote:

I have to agree with Jenny & Andrew on this one, in spite of the fact that I
was once selected from a pool of more experienced writers -because- of my
total lack of knowledge/experience with the subject matter/technology. The
client's approach was "you'll look at [the product] the same way our
off-the-street-end-users will, and ask the same questions, etc., etc."
Sure, I pulled it off, and yes, the client was quite pleased with the
deliverables, but it wasn't an experience I would willingly repeat, or ever
recommend as a great strategy.

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires 4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com