Subject: RE: On PDFs
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:37:32 -0400

Watson Laughton <WLaughton -at- orphan -dot- com> wrote:

> Microsoft made me do it. How was I to know that viewing a PDF file
>from IE was going to give me a lame-o version of Acrobat, even though I have
>the full version 5 installed? I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one
>who has encountered this though, and didn't know how to get around it.

Oh, I forgot about that. It's an IE 6 bug, IIRC, that has a folks PO'd over on comp.text.pdf. And you're correct that a lot of people will run into the same difficulty.

>So now, prove me 100% wrong, and point me to a site that has a document with
>a fully linked TOC in PDF format (unless there's another trick I'm missing,
>neither the Cannondale user manual NOR the Palm manual have any links in
>them, even from the TOC).

When I post PDFs of bookmarked documents, I specify that they open with the bookmarks visible, and they work fine. If others don't, well, then maybe they don't deserve to be certified <vbg>. Again, your experience proves that there are a lot of people using Acrobat poorly; it is not an indictment of the format, though.

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here:

Check out the contests at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com