RE: Over 40/Over 50 (WAS: Work-Life Balance (WAS Re: Offered a jo b - need opinions)

Subject: RE: Over 40/Over 50 (WAS: Work-Life Balance (WAS Re: Offered a jo b - need opinions)
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:37:24 -0400

Folks on the list have been debating the work-life balance. Many have had
interesting thoughts, while others felt people were being judgemental about
their work hours.

I think we all need to step back and acknowledge we have different
priorities in our lives, and even throughout our own lives. Plus we all have
a different work style. I can't work much over 50 hours in a week and create
work that's very good. More than one or two 50 hour weeks, and I'm useless.
That's just how I am.

Also, a little overtime here and there used to be pretty normal for me. Back
then, my husband was in graduate school and had flexible hours. Now, he's
working 50-70 hour weeks. Do I like that? No. And because of that, I'm
challenged to even put in my 40 hours since there are many, many things he
used to do and doesn't have time for now so those tasks fall to me.

We all need to know ourselves enough to know what we want, what we can do,
and what we don't want to do even if we can do it. If you can work 45, 50,
60, or more hours a week and you're happy, more power to you. I can't, and
fortunately, don't have to do so. I've been lucky to find a place to work
that understands that, and seldom asks us to work more than 40 hours a week.

Here's hoping we all find our best place (and don't have a Motel Boy to deal
with there, too!),

Lydia : )
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer
FarPoint Technologies, Inc.
www.fpoint.com

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com