Re: "technology isn't just for geeks" presentation - ideas?

Subject: Re: "technology isn't just for geeks" presentation - ideas?
From: "Kevin Cheek" <CHEEK1 -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:42:11 -0500

I have always held that for the most part, I am not a
geek. However, I refer to things like taking classes
in C, Java, and Perl, learning UNIX shell scripting to
help automate some of my documentation tasks, and
gaining certification as a Lotus Notes programmer, as:

"Embracing the geek within"
and
"Nourishing my inner nerd"

Self-help terms for the current decade.

The truth is that I got turned on to mathmatics,
science and technology when someone pointed out to me
that it is all a great puzzle. It is great fun to look
at all the small pieces and try to learn how they work
together to accomplish whatever task they are
accomplishing (like regulating the flow of gasoline in
a fuel injector, like recognizing the strongest signal
when searching the FM dial, like displaying dancing
baloney on a web-page, etc).

Though you probably have that point of view in your
presentation already, that is how I would approach it.

Great luck!

-Kevin Cheek

Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com> wrote:
>I'll be presenting at the annual "TestOut Challenge
2003" tomorrow, an event
>sponsored by the Utah Dept. of Education to encourage
HS/college students to
>pursue careers in science & technology. The topic of
my 25-min. breakout
>session is "Technology isn't just for Geeks!" and is
designed to get
>students thinking about technology career
possibilities in areas that aren't
>typically thought of in the same breath with
technology (i.e., english, art,
>music, business, etc.).

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com