RE: Readability and techwriting

Subject: RE: Readability and techwriting
From: "Gillespie, Stephen (Contractor)" <Stephen -dot- Gillespie -at- Persnet -dot- Navy -dot- Mil>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:15:51 -0500

To answer Fred Hone's question about readability 'formulae':

No, Fred, we don't check readability here (we write for the Gov't ;-), but I
recall from college the standard tests are the Flesch-Kincaid, Gunning, SMOG
(Simple Measure of Gobbledygook), and a newer one - Fry's Reababilty Graph.

A simple Google search for 'readability' can get you many sources ...

Steve Gillespie

Sr Technical Writer
Science & Engineering Associates, Inc
Naval Personnel Command
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055-310

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com