Tables and Figures. Why not call them both illustrations?

Subject: Tables and Figures. Why not call them both illustrations?
From: Diane Gonthier <dianegonthier -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:28:43 -0700

Hello,

Why do we distinguish between tables and figures in a document and
number each type of illustration separately? Why not just refer to
tables and figures as illustrations (or some other agreed upon label)
and number them consecutively?

For instance, I'm looking at a page in a textbook where Figure 6.10 is
placed directly above Table 6.2 (never mind that Figure 6.10 is a
4-column table and in my mind should be labeled a table). It seems to me
that the reader could more easily access illustrations referenced in the
text if tables and figures were assigned one label and numbered
consecutively.

I don't think the separate numbering of tables and figures is a big
problem but I am curious why the distinction. I searched the list
archives and the web for an answer to no avail.

Diane Gonthier
dianegonthier -at- comcast -dot- net

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com