Re: Wrestling with MS Templates and Styles

Subject: Re: Wrestling with MS Templates and Styles
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 09:32:19 -0700

Lyn Worthen wrote:

> Once I get a style the way I want it, (or if I've specifically
> created it) I turn off the Automatically Update option.

I think you're talking about two different things.

In the Modify Style dialog box, checking Automatically Update tells Word to change the *definition* of that style every time you modify *any* text to which that style is applied, typically affecting *all* text to which that style is applied. This is the annoying behavior you describe. I don't use it.

In the Templates and Add-ins dialog box, checking Automatically Update Document Styles tells Word to reload all the style definitions from the attached template, and apply those definitions to paragraphs to which those styles have been applied. This is the basis for the process of maintaining consistent styles when multiple writers work on a single document. It's a really useful tool.

--David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com