RE: RE: RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other thread s)

Subject: RE: RE: RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other thread s)
From: "GeneK" <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 01 May 2003 11:37:28 PDT

These are inevitable tradeoffs that have to made in life,
emphasize career or family, etc. I never expected anyone
working for me to share their personal issues with everyone,
simply to understand that what they were doing was trading
off certain career enhancements for their personal needs
and not to be expecting that big bonus for doing less
than most of their coworkers. I know people who made a
conscious decision to do that years ago and have never
expressed any regret about it. Unfortunately, when the
really bad times hit and hard decisions about layoffs
have to be made, managers don't have the option of taking
their employees' personal situations into consideration,
the decision has to be a strict "value to company" one.
I really hate that part of being a manager, BTW.

Gene Kim-Eng