RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other th reads)

Subject: RE: Exploitation is a two-way street (was a bunch of other th reads)
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 10:58:49 -0700

Yesterday Barbara Yanez wrote:

Often it is not the number of hours you put
in, but your efficiency at doing your job. A truly valuable employee has
the ability to work *smarter* to get the job done.

So it is important to look at this issue from many different angles -
not just the number of hours.

I think this is a critical missing part of this discussion. I've endeavored
for the entirety of my career to be as efficient as I could, and as a result
I've been able to avoid working much more than 40 hrs/week. And I
always meet the commitments I make, and then some.

I've worked with tech writers who are more like the secretary that
Barbara described, who stayed late on a regular basis in order to
produce less than I did in "normal working hours." Unfortunately, at
that company, efficiency was rewarded less than staying a large
number of hours and looking busier.

I appreciate managers who see both sides and can recognize
when people work extra hours to produce extra and when it's
just to get through their basic assignments.

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
--Albert Einstein

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com