RE: How Many Trees? (WAS: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue)

Subject: RE: How Many Trees? (WAS: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue)
From: "GeneK" <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 05 May 2003 11:42:06 PDT

"Creativity" would refer to the actual word-for-word
expression. If I wrote a detailed report on a Yosemite
tree count study process and its results, you could
grab the numbers and say "there are 10,380 pine trees,"
and be ok, but if you lifted whole paragraphs or
chapters of my detailed report and republished them
with your name on them instead of saying something like,
"according to a study report published by....there are
10,380 pine trees," with the intent of conveying to the
reader the impression that you had written the words you
would not.

Gene Kim-Eng