RE: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue

Subject: RE: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 15:21:05 -0400

DaLy <swiggles247 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>Since teaching is mentioned as a non-infringement of
>copyright, if the document that Bonnie is reviewing is
>teaching the reader/user something, then the copyright
>is not violated. True?

False. Fair use covers a lecturer handing out photocopies of an article (this is actually news to me; I thought this was a violation of copyright widely observed in the breach--learn something new every day). It does not copy one author copying passages from someone else's work and including them in a new work that is to be published and sold to students. That's just theft.

Also, Mark Baker says plagiarism is not illegal. It is not criminal, so the cops won't arrest you for it and you won't go to jail. But inasmuch as it violates copyright, it is certainly something that can be addressed in a civil lawsuit, and it can cost you a pretty penny if you lose.

Dick

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com