RE: RE: How Many Trees? (WAS: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue)

Subject: RE: RE: How Many Trees? (WAS: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue)
From: "Gillespie, Stephen (Contractor)" <Stephen -dot- Gillespie -at- Persnet -dot- Navy -dot- Mil>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 16:35:40 -0400

Gene Kim-Eng replies to Steve's reply on copyrights, Fait=r Use, etc.:

The *results* of research cannot be copyrighted, only the specific words,
images or other media that are produced to convey them can be. Unless
research produces some
patentable technology, process or product, once the results are published
they become public domain.

OK, let me try to clarify my position (one more time): If I publish a paper
on the results of my research, concluding that "there are 10,380 pine trees
in the Yosemite forest" and (according to Dick Margulis, who has it on good
authority that if I WROTE it, it's INSTANTLY/AUTOMATICALLY copyrighted), and
then someone comes along and writes their own paper, using the fact that I
had discovered ("10,380 pine trees") and publishes it - but WITHOUT
crediting me for the information - are you saying that's NOT plagiary
(copyright infringement)?

Steve G.
(who's having TOO much fun with this)

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com