RE: How Many Trees? (WAS: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue)

Subject: RE: How Many Trees? (WAS: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue)
From: Watson Laughton <WLaughton -at- orphan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 16:07:16 -0500

>>OK, I guess it depends on how you define 'distinct' (says Steve, who by
>>now is reminded of the ancient proverb: "A word to the wise is sufficient,

>>but to the foolish, a million, is useless." ;-)

Nevertheless, one can easily violate copyright w/out plagiarizing or failing
to cite (e.g., making 30 photocopies of an article to distribute in class,
or naughty use of Napster/Kazaa/Morpheus); once can plagiarize w/out
violating copyright (retyping a public domain work and passing it off as
your own), and one can fail to cite a reference without committing either
copyright violation or plagiarism. The only one that would seem to be at
all difficult is committing plagiarism while at the same time citing your
source.

So the three sins would appear, by and large, to be distinct. You may
engage in activity that crosses all three lines, but that doesn't appear to
make them any more related than speeding and murder.

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com