Re: Excel 2000 file size.

Subject: Re: Excel 2000 file size.
From: John Fleming <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 18:11:23 -0600

On Mon, 5 May 2003 17:58:48 -0400, in bit.listserv.techwr-l you
wrote:
> $Hi, guys...we're always talking about Word limitation.
> $
> $I have an Excel spreadsheet being used for a configuration matrix. Right
> $now, it is 6.5mb in size X 23,000 rows X 11 rows. Nothing fancy, just lines
> $of text.
> $
> $Anyone know if there is a practical size limit for Excel? I know I could
> $convert to Access, or even directly to an SQL table, but I want to stay in
> $Excel as long as possible because it fits with the model of my other tables.
> $BTW...with the amount of data I still have to import, that 23,000 rows could
> $go 20X in size before I'm done. This is for column characteristics for all
> $our SQL database tables on all our servers.
> $
> $So, is a half million rows too cumbersome with Excel?

Yes John, there is a file size limit, and it depends on the
version of Excel you are running and what you are doing.

"Excel has a number of memory limits which apply to
different items. These limits operate relatively
independently of each other. They mainly apply at the
Application level, and so are cumulative across all the
open workbooks, although you can open two instances of
Excel and each instance will have these limits
independently of the other."

http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm

According to the same source, the formula limit for Excel
versions 95, 97 and 2000 is officially limited to 64MB. In Excel
2002/ XP, it is increased to 128MB. Formual limit is the amount
of memory Excel can use for storing and running formulas, and is
a function (to my understanding) of the application itself.

So, at 6.5MB, I think you still have a long way to go before you
hit a limit.

--
John Fleming
Technical Writer

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com