RE: RE: How Many Trees? (WAS: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue)

Subject: RE: RE: How Many Trees? (WAS: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue)
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 07:32:15 -0700

There is no need for that, the precedent exists in law. The only protection
that exists for the published results of research are for the publication itself,
not its contents. If you attempt to use your arguement in a court of law, you
will lose.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 09:50 AM 5/6/2003 -0400, Gillespie, Stephen (Contractor) wrote:

Wow, Gene, maybe we need to consult a lawyer because that's a really strange
way of looking at it - are not the results of independent research and their
published expression the same as if I wrote the Great American Novel? -
meaning, both would be MY copyrightable property?

Both (my scientific report & my novel) were created where nothing previously
existed. Of course, I reject your assertion that the information in each
(report AND novel) was 'just out there - waiting to be discovered'.

Anyway, I can see that maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree. :-)

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.
FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com