Re: what to look for in a Tech Editor

Subject: Re: what to look for in a Tech Editor
From: "Diane Boos" <dboos -at- drizzle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 10:28:28 -0700

Thank you, David. I really appreciate it. I'd hate to think I wasn't a legit
tech writer after 12+ years.

For years, I said that creative writers (another sterotype) couldn't be good
technical writer, then I ran into a fantastic technical writer who was also
a creative writer. Sure taught me a lesson!

Sam, I think the most mind boggling incident happened in a master's class.
The teacher required several papers. There were the usual groans and
complaints, but some were loud. Finally he asked, "How many in here have
never written a research paper?" Would you believe 5 hands went up? Everyone
in the class had at least one degree. Just before the Boeing 9/11 lay offs,
I told a manager that tale when he commented that anyone with a degree could
write. He didn't call me a liar, but didn't believe it.

It goes back to sterotypes. That manager assumed all college students write
papers. It is an assumption that an English teacher will teach you grammar.
I made the assumption that creative writers couldn't write technical
material. It was based upon my past experience, but it was incorrect.

We have to be careful with sterotypes. They can be useful, but they can be
wrong too.
Diane

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com