RE: numbering in Word

Subject: RE: numbering in Word
From: Patrice Dodd <PatriceD -at- caesy -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 11:00:36 -0700

Hi, Sue:

I'm working my way through creating numbering styles with SEQ fields in Word
2002 on XP.

I have a question:

Why are you advising to press F3 between entering the autotext entry and
adding the text. What does pressing F3 do? I've typed in my autotext entry
and then add my text, and in early experiments, it seems to work.

Thanks
Patrice

Sue Gallagher wrote:

In Word, choose Insert > Field and select the
Numbering group. The field you're interested in
is SEQ <snip>

Basically, you set up named sequences for each
numbering system in your document, so you can
have named SEQ fields <snip>
Once you have your numbering fields created,
save them as autotext <snip>

Format your step paragraphs with hanging indents,
but no numbers. When you get to a new step sequence,
format your para as a step, type 1, press F3, type
text, hit return, *type 2, press F3, type text, hit
return, REPEAT from * until done.

Using this technique, you can easily insert
substeps, notes, blocks of code, figures,
and other stuff between numbered steps and
still keep a consistent numbering scheme
going. When you add a step in the middle, just
update the fields and all the numbers fall into
place.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher
susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com

Patrice Dodd
Senior Writer
CAESY Education Systems, Inc.
tel: 360-883-5287
fax: 360-883-5253
patriced -at- caesy -dot- com
www.CAESY.com

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com