RE: what to look for in a Tech Editor

Subject: RE: what to look for in a Tech Editor
From: "Kate Robinson" <KRobinson -at- synergissystems -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:10:02 -0700

Although I hunger for a usable grammar manual (or three), I think
arguing about competing systems and etymologies is beside the point.
It's insular. It's shop talk. What matters is whether the ultimate user
of the language easily grasps the content without thinking about how
it's presented.

I believe the sign of good technical writing -- unlike fiction or
creative nonfiction -- is that you don't notice that it was written BY
anyone, or HOW it was written. Only exposing the information matters.

As a technical editor, my most important job description -- my role --
is "user advocate." (I don't have an equivalent distillation for my role
as technical writer, but it would be interesting to hear how others
distill it.)

YMMV -- of course.

KATE ROBINSON
Senior Technical Writer
SYNERGIS SYSTEMS
www.synergissystems.com
voice (425) 774-8717

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com