Re: Fear and Loathing at the Job Site

Subject: Re: Fear and Loathing at the Job Site
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 19:49:25 -0700

Steven Brown wrote:

I think the link between subject matter expertise and
content/design is becoming stronger and more crucial
as we speak. Maybe that scares a lot of us, as it
requires that we choose an area of specialization,
which might restrict the pool of employers for whom we
might work. Or would it make us more valuable?

I admit that I was partly venting. For me, there's nothing more annoying than shoddy work - unless it's shoddy work accompanied by a superior attitude. And that includes my work, too. I wince at one or two bad pieces I've done in the past, and the usual excuse of lack of time doesn't really spare me the embarasssment. As for the attitude, I've gradually realized that, unless I come to a piece of work with a very practical attitude - one that you might even call humble - the chances are very good that I won't do my best work.

But the realization that good design needs expertise, too, was an unexpected benefit. I'd never realized it before. But it seems obvious enough, now that I stop to think of it.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"We'll rant and we'll roar like true British sailors,
We'll rant and we'll roar all across the salt seas,
Until we strike soundings in the channel of old England,
From Ushant to Scilly, 'tis thirty-five leagues."
-Traditional

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.
FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com