SQL2000 Data Dictionary

Subject: SQL2000 Data Dictionary
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 09:10:44 -0400

Hi, guys...I've been documenting our SQL system and I understand that there
is something called a "Data Dictionary".

Now, from my research, I think I've figured out most of the information
elements that belong IN the dictionary (table name, columns name, data
types, length, PK/FK, allowed values, etc.) , but what I cannot figure out
is if it has a formal design. I've searched on this on the web and come up
with several resources. However, they all seem to present data in any format
they choose.

I'm thinking that a data dictionary is similar to an API document; they're
kinda standard. Is this accurate? Do I understand what a DD is? Am I so
stupid that I should be ground up into hot dogs?

Thanks.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream
of things that never were, and ask why not?"
-----Robert Francis Kennedy, 1968 presidential campaign

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com