RE: License Agreement/Information

Subject: RE: License Agreement/Information
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 08:09:22 -0700

Legal works are very formulaic, actually. I wouldn't be at all surprised
to see them "plagiarized" all over the place. In fact, lawyers probably
like that sort of thing. I doubt it's a gray area. Heck, consult a
lawyer over that too! ;-)

Yes, get the lawyer involved. This is not a documentation effort except
for the fact that you need to leave room for it in your pub. I know
there are tech writers who work in legal settings, but this is not an
area where your efforts to "clean up" or work on the language will be
appreciated, and if you're not trained in legal writing then you
shouldn't be responsible for it. The lawyer should play the primary
role, should provide all the language. If the attorney is not familiar
with this area of law then by all means provide samples but it is up to
the attorney to research and come up with the appropriate language to
protect the company.

Lisa