RE: SQL2000 Data Dictionary

Subject: RE: SQL2000 Data Dictionary
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 09:41:30 -0700 (PDT)

John Posada wrote:
> I'm using ERwin to extract this information...one of the
> main reasons is that ERwin has the ability to store a model
> of the database on a local drive and periodically, I can run
> a full compare to check for changes to help me update the docs.

One of the best reasons for using an ERWin model is that you can write
actual text descriptions for each field and store them in the model.
I'm a little rusty so I'm not sure, but I don't think the major DB's
native exporting tools allow you to store a description attached to
each field.

Developers never write these descriptions; or if they do they usually
write something useless. This is where a tech writer can add value.
Maintain the model yourself; or build your own model independently if
necessary (if you don't somebody else will kill your descriptions when
they rebuild the model).

I don't remember it being that hard to export a tabular report into
Word, FM, or whatever. Just like any other manual, find out what
information your users need and then add it to the report. Figure out
how much space you have and put in as many columns as you can fit.

Mike O.

http://search.yahoo.com

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com