Re: Interview Process -- This is kinda long

Subject: Re: Interview Process -- This is kinda long
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 08:06:53 -0700

They seem to be becoming the norm, these days. I don't know if it's caution
(after all, companies don't seem to be the least bit cautious about walking
people out the door), or just that in the current economy every opening
produces so many resumes from qualified people that some managers who
previously had no problem picking the best candidate because there were
often very few during the boom years of the 90's are now having problems
deciding between many. The relocation in your case could also be a factor.
The multiple interview stages aren't necessarily a potential red flag if they're
part of a well-oiled process, but the fact that they don't seem to have their
own hiring process nailed down well enough to be able to tell you what the
"final step" really is could very well be the harbinger of workplace chaos that.
Annamarie suggests.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 11:40 PM 5/9/2003 -0400, Kim Thornton wrote:

Are all these interviews normal? Specificially, additional phone
interviews after the face-to-face? Especially for a tech writer position. Not a Sr.
Tech Writer, or Documentation Manager, just a tech writer position.

I've been in the industry for about 41/2 years. I've never had so many
interviews for one position. Usually, its a phone, face-to-face and then
either an offer or a "thanks but no thanks." Could my out of state status (and
possible relocation expenses) be the cause? The economy? I'd love to hear
what everyone thinks! Thanks!

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com