RE: Multiple templates, a single stylesheet and maintaining consi sten cy in MS-WORD.

Subject: RE: Multiple templates, a single stylesheet and maintaining consi sten cy in MS-WORD.
From: France Baril <Barilf -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 09:22:14 -0400

Thanks, the organizer works great.

>> Perhaps you could supply different language versions of the
templates, and let them install the correct one?

It is not that simple, as many people with different WORD versions
(French/English) usually work on documents. Also, as I was trying to find
someone at work who had a French version of WORD, I noticed that most people
do not know which version they have on their system, they have to open it
and check (one even told me he had a French version when he read "Document1"
in the upper-left corner, as "Document1" is the same in French and English
and he read it with the French accent!). As you can see it is not obvious
that users will open the template version that match their WORD version.
Most employees do not mind working with software in their second language,
however, bilingual interfaces ca n become very confusing.

I guess these problems occur in very few regions as most usually have a
single official language. I think I will just use French names in the French
Templates and English names in the English Templates. This way all those who
speak a single language will have the proper styles (you do not write a
letter in French if you do not speak the language) and others will have to
learn to live with mixed interfaces which they can somehow understand.

I just hope the company will not expend to Spain or South America before
Microsoft solves this issue as so far all people who write letters in
Spanish use WORD in French or English!!!!.