RE: Experience vs Steeling

Subject: RE: Experience vs Steeling
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:40:24 -0600

I'm baffled by this query. I try to draw on ALL my previous knowledge and
experience as I move forward. If writing an SOP doc at my old job got me
great results, I'd look at my new job and see if I thought would help.

And as a hiring manager, I WANT you to bring all your previous knowledge
and expertise to work with you. That's why experienced writers are sought
after, and (should) make more money.

Repeating a successful process is not stealing - it's intelligent.

The one thing to watch out for is the risk of close-mindedness. I've run
into workers who constantly fell into the "that's the way I always did it
at my last job" mindset. That's not a growth-oriented approach. Constantly
be looking for the best way to do things *under the given circumstances*,
and be willing to modify your methods as the situation dictates.

And to me, this extends even beyond your own ideas. Suppose you learned a
great technique from a manager or coworker at your previous gig. By all
means you should look for an opportunity to apply that concept at your
next gig - if it makes sense.

Again, that's the benefit companies seek when they look for writers with
"experience." Got experience? Bring it with you!

Keith Cronin
who learned the word "concatenate" at his first gig, and uses it with
reckless abandon to this very day.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com