Re: Basing Word styles on Normal or Body Text?

Subject: Re: Basing Word styles on Normal or Body Text?
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:44:10 -0600

Many of the templates I create and use are part of documents that are sent
to developers and sub-contractors for their additions and comments. A
developer in Canada, for example, might have to add a chapter or some long
tables to the document. Instead of just asking for the work in whatever
template the developer chooses, I send a complete copy of the entire
document - along with specific instructions on what styles to use, where to
use them, and how to sue them. I pretty much restrict these folks to a
handful: Body Text, a Numbered List style, a bulleted list style, table
header and table body. I'll handle the rest - headers, footers, etc. - when
it's returned to me.

When the documents are completed by the subs and sent to me I can copy/paste
whole chapters into the final document without few worries that there are
Normal conflicts, or any other style conflicts.

These documents are sometimes opened on as many as ten different PCs.
Because of this I don't use Normal for anything (I beg/demand that all text
is in Body Text) and have "Based On" style set to "None."

So far, this has worked pretty well. The number of times when style
conflicts or true Word fubars (in which smoke gently curls up from my PC
while the speaker starts singing "Daisy") have diminished to near zero.

This solution works for this problem. If you're the only person who is
going to create and use a template the above restrictions are clearly not
necessary.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com