RE: How to handle when the scope changes?

Subject: RE: How to handle when the scope changes?
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 09:17:42 -0700

I assume that you have a Change Order form in your bag? I have them
squirreled away in about 10 places. Don't even go on vacation without them.

If the scope has changed - assuming that you can document the original scope
clearly - then you need to complete a Change Order so they can sign it. In
that order, you specify the changes, duration, and cost. If they do not wish
to sign it, then the old scope and cost stands.

Regardless of what you charge or did not charge for this project. It is up
to you to decide the cost for the out of scope changes and this is a point
of negotiation for both of you.

What you CANNOT do is NOT tell them that the scope has changed and then bill
them later for the changes. I am being sued right now by a subcontractor who
is in that situation. I say the scope did not change, She says it did, but
she never mentioned the change. At any time. She just did the work - that I
say was in scope and I can document it was in scope - and then sent me a
bill for additional work after the project was complete and delivered. She
will lose but I have to assemble a case book, dress in a suit, and spend the
day in court.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting