Re: Another terminology question

Subject: Re: Another terminology question
From: Doc <doc -at- vertext -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:19:48 -0400

On Fri, 16 May 2003 08:51:21 -0600, Tammy VanBoening
<Tammy -dot- VanBoening -at- netRegulus -dot- com> wrote:

>In the web-based application that I am documenting, we have several modules
>w/ their own identifying names. One of these modules is a report generator.
>This module term is used on some of the menu options in the application, but
>when you actually get into the module, the option to generate the report is
>labeled "Run Report".

This statement makes the answer easy. The controversy is based on an
inconsistency in the interface and it needs to be fixed. There are
multiple terms for a single activity. The developers, and you, need to
settle on a single term.

If the program is scheduled for localization this will be pointed out
in no uncertain terms.

Now I have to weasel a bit.

Extrapolating, I have seen "generating a report" used for both the
set-up and the actual generation of the report. If this is what has
happened, why not suggest that they change "Run the Report" to Run
Report Generator".

But, you have to make sure that they are using the terms consistently.
What you are describing is not uncommon, a company I worked for used
five different terms for the same device. It gave the translators
ulcers trying to figure out if there was some kind of deep meaning
behind the inconsistent terminology. But there was not, it was just
lazy or uncommunicative engineers, and a tech writer who was not given
the equipment to do their own testing.

It needs to be fixed.

-Doc
The VerText Company