Re: Somewhat OT: Tech Writers vs. other writers

Subject: Re: Somewhat OT: Tech Writers vs. other writers
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:21:43 -0500

Andrew Plato wrote:
<snip>

You're correct, there are a lot of people flooding into tech writing. For this I blame the font fondlers and other non-technical, non-writer types. These people have presented a load of crap for decades that writers can be accomplished professionals without acquiring any "hard" technical skills. Look at the STC annual conference this year. I counted one or two technical presentations among hundreds of "career development" and "earn the respect you deserve" type seminars. For a profession desperate for respect, a lot of its leading people do nothing to help earn it.
</snip>

Most of us here know Andrew doesn't have a high opinion of STC (or rather, he does, but it's not the kind STC wants him to have!). While I don't share his opinion (being a senior member like I am), his assessment of this year's conference offerings are right on target. One of this afternoon's sessions is titled (I am NOT making this up!), "Sexual Sterotypes: Arguing the Feminine in Cyberspace."

Give me a bur-rake!

The technology offerings are, for the most part, too few and somewhat lightweight. Even so, those are the ones I'll attend.

Jo Byrd

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com