Re: Automating docs compilation in the software build process

Subject: Re: Automating docs compilation in the software build process
From: David Handy <david -dot- handy -at- automsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:40:49 +0100

Richard G. Combs wrote
Surely, [your] releases aren't built with no warning on the spur of the
moment?

Richard,
Of course not!
As I said in another mail, "The main reason [for our seeking to automate the
doc-compilation process] is the build speed at our internal deadline times."
Let's say we perform daily test builds as a project matures: in that
scenario, the new process could give me almost an hour extra a day.

The main concern coming from techwhr-lers is that automatically compiled
documents won't get checked before they are released. That won't happen.
I'll check them, the test dept will check them; if there's a problem, it
will be logged as a bug and we'll do the build again. My main concern is
that the compilation process itself may be buggy when it comes to docs. I
dont see any reason why it be so, but perhaps others have been there and
know better...

David

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com