Re: What to look for in a technical editor

Subject: Re: What to look for in a technical editor
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:43:57 -0400

Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>Everybody agrees that editors (as well as writers) need to have a base set of
>language, tool, and grammar skills.

MARK THIS DAY ON YOUR CALENDARS, FOLKS!!!! Andrew agrees that editors and writers need to have language skills! Wow!

>Those basic skills are easily acquired.

Alas, that such were the case ;-(

>Therefore, to be of real value to an employer, a writer or editor must
>demonstrate that they have MORE than that basic set of skills.

An assertion NOBODY HERE HAS EVER DISPUTED.

I submit that, in addition to knowing something about language and something about technology, it is also quite helpful to know something about arguing from false premises and to have sufficient self-control to avoid engaging in it.

Harrumph!

Dick

--
Fondling fonts since 1960.