Re: What to look for in a technical editor

Subject: Re: What to look for in a technical editor
From: guy <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 10:32:14 -0700

Andrew Plato wrote:
. . .

We all learned grammar and language skills in grade school.
> Some people are obviously better than others at language
> skills, but every single person in the world who has attended
> grade school has language and grammar skills. Thus, language
skills are common and easily acquired.

You assume too much, Andrew. Those of us of a certain age may have learned basic grammar and language skills in at least junior high and high school, but persons younger than 30 probably have not. At least, not in the U.S. Remember being graded on content AND mechanics? Gone!

Also, presumably you are writing in your native language. Hence,
> your point is moot. You're not required to learn or use a
> foreign language.

Many people don't understand their own grammar until they assay a foreign language.

However, this is not the case with, say, database programming.
> Did you learn about stored procedures in 7th grade? Probably not.
> Thus, technical skills are rare and more valuable.

I would refer you to a series of article in the San Jose Mercury News this week about the technology skill level of many students:

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/special_packages/wired_kids/

--
Guy K. Haas
guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com | gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net & http://guy.blogs.at

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com