RE: Title Help -- audience???????

Subject: RE: Title Help -- audience???????
From: "Stuart Rogers" <srogers -at- phoenix-geophysics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 15:40:04 -0400

I think we should bear in mind that the audience is likely either scientific
or academic, and that the meaning of words in those contexts is very
specific -- not at all equivalent to the meaning in common parlance.

In geophysics, "sounding" means measuring a property as a function of depth
(as opposed to "profiling", which means means measuring a property as a
function of lateral displacement). Neither has anything to do with keels or
riverboats or "mark twain", and either might be done using Magnetotellurics,
Resistivity, Seismic, or other techniques having little or nothing to do
with sound waves.

Also in scientific terms, "impulse" means a pulse which is of sufficiently
short time-duration that its waveshape is of no consequence. The
theoretically perfect impulse contains all frequencies in equal proportions
at zero phase. I would take it to mean that "impulse sonar" is a specific
sonar technique that employs extremely short pulses of sound. I doubt very
much that for this audience, the term would be redundant.

As I replied to Conchan off-line, if the title is for a research paper or
similar document, the title is typical and appropriate just as it is.

Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator
Phoenix Geophysics Limited
Toronto, ON, Canada
+1 (416) 491-7340 x 325

mailto:srogers -at- phoenix-geophysics -dot- com

Developers explain How the Product Works.
Technical Writers explain How to Work the Product.
_
( ) ASCII ribbon campaign
X against HTML email
/ \ & vCards