RE: Title Help -- audience???????

Subject: RE: Title Help -- audience???????
From: "Wade Courtney" <WCourtney -at- Elance -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:51:09 -0700

It seems that we are talking about Oceanography not Geophysics.

>In geophysics, "sounding" means measuring a property as a function of depth
>(as opposed to "profiling", which means means measuring a property as a
>function of lateral displacement). Neither has anything to do with keels or
>riverboats or "mark twain", and either might be done using Magnetotellurics,
>Resistivity, Seismic, or other techniques having little or nothing to do
>with sound waves.

There are two types of sonar, active and passive. Active sonar sends out short bursts (impulses) of sound, passive sonar is akin to stinking microphone in the water and listening. Passive sonar can only report the direction a sound is coming from active sonar can report the direction and distance, hence its use in soundings. I'm sure that the translation from Japanese to English was a literal one. In English and in the maritime world, its called active sonar. All active sonar is impulse sonar. The only difference I think is the High-resolution part which is dependant on the sensitivity of the equipment receiving the sonar pulse.

> Also in scientific terms, "impulse" means a pulse which is of sufficiently
> short time-duration that its waveshape is of no consequence. The
> theoretically perfect impulse contains all frequencies in equal proportions
> at zero phase. I would take it to mean that "impulse sonar" is a specific
> sonar technique that employs extremely short pulses of sound. I doubt very
> much that for this audience, the term would be redundant.

It might be, but to people who know, "impulse sonar" is silly.

> As I replied to Conchan off-line, if the title is for a research paper or
> similar document, the title is typical and appropriate just as it is.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com