Re: What to look for in a technical editor

Subject: Re: What to look for in a technical editor
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:03:14 -0700 (PDT)

"Michael West" ...

> This is a good example of the uneven distribution of reading
> and writing skills among so-called technical writers. I won't
> waste time responding to questions about things I never
> said in the first place. I've paraphrased my statement in
> another post here -- that will have to do.

You said:

"Expecting subject-matter experts to be intelligent and capable style editors,
or expecting style experts to have detailed technical knowledge of an emerging
technology, usually ends in unsatisfactory outcomes for the consumer and,
somewhat less importantly, frustrating working conditions for writers."

Rather than berate me for misunderstanding you, explain to me exactly what you
mean by this. Clearly I am missing something here, because when I read your
words I hear "ignorance is an asset."

Why is expecting an editor to have technical knowledge a bad thing and how
could lead to a frustrating working condition? Cite examples if possible.

Andrew Plato

http://search.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com