RE: Responsibility

Subject: RE: Responsibility
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 01:57:01 -0400

::: I would say that if you're getting a 20% to 30% review
::: response, there is
::: something wrong with your tech pubs group.

I have to agree. Are you handing over a complete document asking for review?
When are you asking for the review? How are you asking for the review.

Point of fact: Everyone's busy, and not always at the same time. Find a time
that fits the reviewers' lighter workload times, and give them info in
amounts they deem reasonable.

I hand off sections that change as they change to SMEs during a project. I
wait until the project's done and shipped to do a full technical review of
the document. Why? Because that's when people have the time and the
concentration. The benefit is not on the doc going out the door, but the
next iterration of that doc. The first time you do this there will be holes,
but every time thereafter is maintenance.

::: If the writer has an intimate and comprehensive
::: understanding of the technology
::: and the industry, then design specs, beta builds, and
::: testing time become
::: merely validation points and not the start points for a project.

I agree except for the spec part. NO ONE should start working until specs
are signed off as complete by all parties in the project.

::: I advocate a world where writers make content accuracy
::: their first, second, and
::: third priority, well ahead of methodologies, grammar, and
::: just about every
::: other STC seminar topic. 80% or more of a writer's effort
::: should be squarely
::: directed at learning technology, testing features, and
::: producing material based
::: on the writer's own knowledge. SMEs should be used as a
::: sounding board and to
::: validate the writers own knowledge.

Amen.

Bill Swallow