RE: Domino.Doc

Subject: RE: Domino.Doc
From: jenny_berger -at- fairfieldresidential -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:27:14 -0500

Since we're a Lotus Notes shop, we've been using Domino.Doc for about 2
years. Unfortunately, we've not had the opportunity to encounter the issue

you mentioned (links to Master docs, graphics in Word files). Most of our
formal documentation is in PDF (because not everyone here has the
ODMA-supported apps like Word available), and the informal Word docs that
get deposited often don't have graphics. The few that do have embedded
graphics, not linked. Hyperlinks to other documents, like web pages, are
usually preserved. But no one here uses Master docs or links to other docs

on our file servers.

As Amy Smith pointed out, your best bet for a more definitive answer would

probably be the Domino.Doc section of the IBM web site. I think also
there's a Domino.Doc forum where you can post your questions.

Domino.Doc website:
http://www.lotus.com/products/domdoc.nsf/content/domdochomepage
Developer Domain for Domino.Doc:
http://www-15.lotus.com/ldd/products/.cmd/cs/.ce/155/.s/322/_th/302/_lpid.301/307/_lp.301/0/_s.155/317
Domino.Doc forum: http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/ddforum.nsf?OpenDatabase

As for the errors you're experiencing, I experienced quite a few errors
myself when I was hired here and was learning the system. After talking to
our Notes Admin about the installation and her experiences with it, I
understood that it was a combination of a haphazard implementation and my
inexperience. Once I understood how it worked (after reading the docs,
playing with it, and talking to our Notes Admin about how it was
implemented) I experienced fewer errors. Personally, I don't much care for
Domino.Doc, mainly because it seems you have to do a lot to accomplish a
little, and it's frightfully slow. But again, that could be because it was
implemented improperly at the start (and also because I'm having Notes
issues at the moment ;-))

HTH,

Jenny Berger
Technical Writer