RE: What does it mean to be technical?

Subject: RE: What does it mean to be technical?
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:29:53 -0700

Actually, you do care, you just don't know it. Quality expectations are part
of knowing your tools - how things must be braced, attached, formed, etc.
Not how to repair the drill - how to properly use the drill.

For example, the large addition that was built on my house before I bought
it was constructed badly. The previous owners were paint contractors and
built it themselves. In large part, my master carpenter husband says, they
didn't know their tools and what needs to be put with what and things must
be constructed. As a result, we have had to rebuild a significant part of
it. Why? Over time, it is falling apart (it is less than 20 years old).

I have a friend who contracted out a large floor to ceiling shelving unit.
She said it was obvious that the fellows did not really know their tools,
although they had a reputation for excellent quality work. The result? A
lovely (and it really is) wall unit that took weeks longer than it should
have. For weeks, my friend had construction in her house with all the mess
that entails, instead of about a week, which is what it should have taken.

It is not a tools over capability issue. We are _technical_ writers. Both
parts. Otherwise, we are writers who write about technology. In this job
market, guess who is going to get hired or not laid off?

As I said, this is a personal rant. I don't expect to be taken seriously or
my point to get thru.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting