linking behavior in html Help drop-down text

Subject: linking behavior in html Help drop-down text
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 15:02:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hey all. I've got a couple weird things going on in my html help project. I'm using RoboHelp HTML 2002.

Here's the context. I'm using drop-down hotspots and text. Within the body of drop-down, I have links to other pages in the help file. I'm using DHTML to change the color and underline properties of the links.

------
Weirdness one:
On some of my links, the space between the linked word and the following (non-linked) word is actually a link too. The space is underlined, and when I do a mouseover, the underline takes on the mouseover properties for a link. I've checked the code, and there is no extra space in neither the span that applies the link style, nor the anchor tag. Following is an example:

HTML output:
Click here_for intructions. (where here_ is the link)

Code:

Any idea on why this is happening?

------
Weirdness two:
Again, in the drop-down text, and again with links. The links are exhibiting the above behavior AND they are floating over other content in the drop-down. If you mouseover where the link is supposed to be, nothing happens but you can click where the link is supposed to be to follow it. If you mouseover where the link appears floating over the text, the linked text jumps to where it should be.

Any idea on why this is happening?

"And in the morning, I'm makin waffles." ~ Donkey
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you -at- yourchoice -dot- com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag