Re: system administrators and documentation

Subject: Re: system administrators and documentation
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 10:23:12 -0700 (PDT)

"Brian Das" ...

> So, the strategy seems to be: Provide information that's only useful to
> people who already know the product well. Less experienced people will get
> frustrated and call us for consulting hours.
>
> Does this seem like a good plan to you? How would you respond? Thanks for
> your thoughts,

Yes. By appealing to experienced people, your products become more elite. This
allows the company to charge more for the product and realize additional
revenue in consulting.

Geek-creed is very important in some technologies. If the geeks don't think you
have it in you, they won't buy your products (or recommend to the CIO to buy
them). Geeks appreciate good, technically-oriented documentation and don't care
for pages of baby-steps and obvious stuff.

I'd say your company's strategy is right on. Its a good strategy, and your docs
should embrace it by being very technical and demonstrating that your company
has a very good grip on the industry and the challenges system admins face.

Andrew Plato

http://search.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com