Re: PowerPoint advice

Subject: Re: PowerPoint advice
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- removebigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:36:57 +1000

Dick Margulis wrote tips on using PowerPoint.

This is all good advice. One thing I would amplify a bit,
though, is where he says:

> If you have three simple points to make in one section
> of your presentation, you should be able to hold the audiences's
> attention by making those points orally. They should not have to read
> the self-same points on a screen behind you--an activity that distracts
> them from what you are saying, after all.

Yes, the most common error is trying to
jam too much detail into the slides. But while
you shouldn't try to screen your oral remarks
verbatim, it is generally helpful to highlight or
emphasize major points or categories. A couple of
words in each bullet point is enough. You can point
to these keywords or key phrases as you move through
them -- thereby helping your audience follow your
track. Using visual reinforcement with auditory instruction
(and vice-versa) is a well-known aid to mnemonic retention
(as Dick suggests elsewhere in his comments).

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia

applications, including Net.