Re: You're SUPPOSED to have good communication skills if you're a tech writer]

Subject: Re: You're SUPPOSED to have good communication skills if you're a tech writer]
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 07:07:09 -0400

I'm with Bonnie and Jan, Bruce. I don't think anyone has asserted
"writing skill good, technical knowledge bad." I thought Michael's post
was a gentle poke at Another Poster's continuing to argue from false
premises, construct strawmen to tilt against, quote people out of
context, and pepper his prose with solecisms. I did not see it as
contradicting the principle that a tech writer or editor needs
sufficient technical background to understand the content and the
context of the work at hand.

Jan Henning wrote:

>> Yet, from the number who think that writing skills are enough, the
>> point seems nowhere near as basic as I imagine.
>

> Are you sure that there are many people (on this list) that think
> writing skills are enough? This is not my impression at all. People who
> disagree with the contention "Everybody can write, only technical skils
> count." do not necessarily claim that "Technical skills are
> unimportant, only writing skills count." On the contrary most of them
> argue that you cannot produce a decent manual without both writing AND
> technical skills. (And Sharon reminded us that tool skills are needed
> as well.)
>
> So it may be a misperception that a significant number of list
> participants feel writing skills only are enough.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com