RE: PowerPoint advice

Subject: RE: PowerPoint advice
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 08:56:56 -0600

I've noticed something in practice that doesn't seem to have appeared in
this thread: The use of Powerpoint presentations as online presentations
(e.g., through an intranet), _in_lieu_ of a spoken presentation.

I'm not expressing an opinion here on the use and abuse of Powerpoint,
just making an observation in the hope of seeing whether anyone else has
noticed this practice, what they think of it, and how they believe it
would affect the usage guidelines expressed here so far.

For example:
Over the years I've found that a significant number of business users
don't even know the Speaker's Notes exist, let alone how they are to be
used*. If these folks are just viewing a Powerpoint presentation via the
intranet, and are not writing one, is it reasonable to expect the users to
have the technical aptitude with the presentation medium to know to look
for speaker's notes?

Shauna I.
---------(OK, so I'm being Devil's Advocate here)--------
* This is more common in older versions of Ppt, before it defaulted to a
tri-pane view on opening, but it still happens, esp. in the cases where
the Powerpoint files are packaged to default to the presentation, and not
show the application desktop.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com