Re: You're SUPPOSED to have good communication skills if you're a tech writer

Subject: Re: You're SUPPOSED to have good communication skills if you're a tech writer
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 21:16:11 -0700

Jan Henning wrote:

Are you sure that there are many people (on this list) that think
writing skills are enough?

My comments weren't just (or even mostly) based on what people have posted on this list. They were also based on local observations, and the fact that I have had several contracts in which I cleaned up after another writer. Writing ability was not the problem in any of these cases. All were written in perfectly intelligible English. However, all of them suffered a lack of understanding of the subject. This lack was evident not only in the obsolete and unverified information, but in the turns of phrasing and ambiguous, potentially misleading statements that were made.

What's more, my personal experience coincides well with the widespread prejudice among programmers that technical writers don't know their subject. This assumption irritates me to no end, but I doubt it would be so common if it wasn't based partly on experience.

People who disagree with the contention "Everybody can write, only technical skils
count." do not necessarily claim that "Technical skills are
unimportant, only writing skills count."

True enough. But, then, since I never claimed otherwise, I don't feel obliged to counter.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"I denounce the heresy of Creationism
that would dismiss my mourning as sentimental
and allege a unique sentience divided us;
evolution would alow our parallel minds to meet
if love alone could not."

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com