Re: techwr-l digest: May 28, 2003

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: May 28, 2003
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- removebigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 20:57:03 +1000

Chris wrote:

> There was a period in the late
> '80s that produced bodies of research about categories of information,
> and their importance to the user. The "Overview/Deep Understanding"
> school lost, and the "Procedural Information" school won. In other
> words, it suddenly became vogue to present procedures, and leave the
> deeper knowledge out of the picture altogether.

Could you amplify what you mean by the
"Overview/Deep Understanding" school for
those of us who think the two terms are too
different to be treated as if they were the
same thing?

Also, are there any historical data to support what
you've written about "bodies of research" and
"vogues" in information design? Was it really
about "vogues" or was it about listening to what
the user community was asking for as opposed
to what the technical community thought they
should want?

I'm also mildly interested in the part about
wanting to puke, but I guess we can leave that
alone in consideration of our more sensitive
readers.

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia