RE: Drafts Back in Time

Subject: RE: Drafts Back in Time
From: "Amber Young" <ayoung -at- pridemobility -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:38:18 -0400

The saddest thing is, most of these documents are either one-sided, one page
with lots of pictures or booklets less than 20 pages long that follow the
format of alllll our other booklets (zzzzz).

And to answer some of your responses, I have a great relationship with
nearly all of my reviewers. I am very friendly and have an informal,
humorous attitude with them, which I think actually contributes to the
delay. Maybe they think, "Oh, it's only Amber. She won't mind if I hold
off on this for a bit." The person I get documents back fastest from is a
woman who absolutely hates me (and everyone else... HRTs honey... lol)!

Sorry to whine. It's just so hard to work when I have to spend half my day
tracking down stuff I've been done with forever because someone calls me
wondering why this thing isn't out yet. The worst thing is that NINE people
need to sign an approval sheet for ONE document, no matter how big or small
it is. These sheets, along with any hard copy of edits, are saved in a
filing room for evidence. A lot of, "Well, you're the one who signed off on
this" goes on because if a document goes out with problems, people tend to
lie and say they never saw it and my boss has to prove that they did.
Needless to say, it's difficult to be efficient.

I was reading John Posada's particular dilemma with his giant manuscript and
I find it amazing that he had only been working on it since January! Hats
off to John for having reached the critical point of his project by the end
of May. Guaranteed that would never happen here!

Thanks for all your input. I hope you don't mind that I shared some of it
with my boss :) Except the part about a review meeting. That will not
happen until pigs fly... We have over 1200 employees spread out over
several miles in 5 different buildings (supposedly they are working on
fixing this) and I am but one lowly writer in a department of 24. Boobs or
no, I'd definitely get laughed at for suggesting that. But thanks anyway :D

Amber Young
Technical Writer
Pride Mobility Products Corp.

applications, including Net.