Re: Quick question - Power on Led On - Power Off Led off - How to put this nicely

Subject: Re: Quick question - Power on Led On - Power Off Led off - How to put this nicely
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 01:27:27 +1000

Tronajc asked for help.

Tronajc, you haven't stated what the problem is
that you are trying to fix, but I will make some
suggestions anyway.

> To turn xxx ON
>
> 1. Slide the power switch to the on position - this is a three position
switch = Off. Standby and On.

How do they identify the On position? Is it marked on the switch? How?
Do they need to look at the LED? What do they see when it is on?
When it is off? The answers to these questions should be written into
the instruction. Tell them exactly what they are looking for.

For example:

1. Slide the power switch to the position marked ON.

Also, you don't need to tell them it's a three-position switch
AFTER you've told them to slide it to the On position. Before
would be more logical. So you might rewrite step 1 as:

1. Slide the three-position Power switch to the On position.

> 2. The Led on the front top will indicate power on.

This is not an instruction, as written. You can make it an instruction
by rewriting it:

2. Verify that the LED marked ON is illuminated.

You can also make it part of step one instead of a separate step.

> 3.... ( there is a row of 4 LEDs each able to display at least two if not
three colours indicating various status even it the divice is off )

Sorry, I don't know what you're asking the user to do in number 3.
I'd suggest putting in a little two-column table explaining the LED
states and what they mean:

When the LED is ... It means the machine is ...
Green on
Yellow in standby mode
Off powered off
Flashing yellow experiencing an error condition (see p.
xxx)

Or whatever ......

> To turn xxx Off
>
> 1. Slide the power switch to the off position - has a three position
switch = Off. Standby and On.
> 2. The Led on the front top will indicate power off ??? (This is Wrong -
Pls Advise)

Why not just reverse what we did above?

1. Slide the three-position Power switch to the Off position. Verify that
the
LED is not illuminated.

> Thanks

Welcome.